CME shares recommendations to enhance Alberta’s manufacturing strategy
December 12, 2022 by Manufacturing AUTOMATION
Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) launched Alberta Manufacturing Strategy: Policy Recommendation to Spur Manufacturing Investment, Innovation and Job Creation on December 12.
The document contains recommendations on growing the province’s manufacturing market share, encouraging investment and strategies for enhancing the manufacturing labour force.
Here is the summary of recommendations that CME has shared:
- Growing Alberta’s manufacturing market share
- Collaborate with industry to launch an “Alberta Made” campaign to promote local manufacturing and supply chains, in a manner that builds on the “Made in Alberta Labelling Program.”
- Adopt a comprehensive approach to supporting Alberta’s strategic and emerging manufacturing sectors, including petrochemicals, food processing, fabricated metals, wood products, mineral value chains and machinery and electronic equipment.
- Invite the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters Association to participate as a member of the Alberta Procurement Council to support competitive local procurement practices to drive provincial innovation, investment and job creation.
- Encouraging investment
- Introduce an “Alberta Made” matching investment tax credit or grant program to assist companies with plant expansion, upgrades, technology adoption, onshoring, re-tooling, improving environmental performance, and exporting.
- Implement a Patent Box tax exemption system to reward commercialization and production of goods and advanced technologies in Alberta.
- A manufacturing labour force strategy
- Support CME members in expanding efforts to attract underrepresented groups to manufacturing through training and grant programs.
- Support manufacturers in encouraging Alberta’s education system to connect youth to manufacturing careers.
- Work with Alberta’s manufacturers to strengthen immigration programs to meet the labour market needs of industry.
The document is available for download here.