Equipment flaws blamed for Dinoflex teen worker’s death
By Alyssa Dalton
Nov. 18, 2014 – As published by The Canadian Press, Manufacturing AUTOMATION has learned there were ineffective guards and no stop blocks on the hydraulic press at the Dinoflex plant in British Columbia that killed 19-year-old Shane Gorner last August.
The WorkSafeBC investigation revealed there were flaws with equipment at the manufacturing plant, and his training level was also in question. As well, the controls did not meet industry standards and there was a faulty electrical relay on a switch.
The employer said it has taken immediate action to bring things up to standard after the accident.
— With files from The Canadian Press