Retooling for COVID-19? Resources for manufacturers
April 9, 2020 by Kristina Urquhart
Looking to retool or collaborate with another company on manufacturing medical supplies to help in the fight against COVID-19?
Check out these resources [last updated Apr. 14, 10:45 a.m. ET]:
- EMC Members Need Help: Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium has opened its member-based email service to non-members as well so manufacturers can connect to answer questions and collaborate on opportunities.
- Fabricators Fighting COVID-19: A LinkedIn group for design sharing and manufacturing collaboration by AXYZ Routers, WardJet Waterjets and CNCShop.com.
- Next Generation Manufacturing Canada (NGen): Canada’s Advanced Manufacturing Supercluster is allocating $50 million for companies who are rapidly responding to COVID-19. Projects will be selected for funding according to critical needs identified by the federal government and the ability of manufacturers to produce products that are safe for both patients and health care workers.
- Ontario Together Fund: The Ontario government has earmarked $50 million to support companies in retooling, building capacity or adopting the technological changes needed to produce supplies and equipment for hospitals, long-term care homes and other critical public services.
- The COVID-19 Challenges Procurement Program: The National Research Council of Canada and Innovative Solutions Canada are offering millions in grants for solutions including alternative filtration materials suitable for use in the manufacture of N95 respirators and surgical masks, and a low-cost sensor monitoring system to monitor COVID-19 patients.
Design and production
- Javelin Technologies: The 3D printing solutions provider has offered its manufacturing facility and medical 3D printing experience to designers and manufacturers to produce parts.
- Bauer Hockey Face Shield Design: The hockey manufacturer has released the design for its facial shields to the public so that other manufacturers can retool and produce them quickly.
- CovidStop.ca: A hub created by Shop3D.ca for companies with 3D printers to volunteer their equipment.
- 3D Printer Crowdsourcing for COVID-19: A public Google sheet listing professionals and hobbyists with 3D printers around the world who are able to help.
- Ontario Centre of Excellence’s (OCE) COVID-19 Collaboration Platform: OCE is looking for innovative technologies, SMEs and experts from across the province to help fill the current product and service gaps related to COVID-19, including medical equipment, clean room capabilities, plastic production, general fabricating, etc. If you have an asset, a technology or a product – and are looking for collaborators to assist your efforts, the OCE can use its network of businesses to connect you.
Come across a resource that will help Canadian manufacturers retool in the fight against COVID-19? Email our editor to let us know and we will add it to the list!