Machine & Operator Safety
Operations & Management
Safety blitz targets material handling hazards
September 15, 2014 by Manufacturing AUTOMATION
Sept. 15, 2014 – Ontario is launching a workplace safety blitz that will focus on hazards involving material handling, to ensure workers are safe on the job.
From September 15 to October 26, 2014, Ministry of Labour inspectors will visit plants, factories and other industrial sector workplaces across the province. They will check that employers are taking appropriate action to assess and address possible hazards in the loading, unloading, storage and movement of goods and supplies in workplaces.
The inspectors will check workplaces for compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations. In particular, they will check that employers:
• Have well-maintained lift trucks and other lifting devices rated for their loads;
• Are providing workers with safe access to work areas;
• Are ensuring workers perform tasks safely to prevent falls;
• Are ensuring mobile/transport equipment is appropriate for use and well-maintained;
• Are ensuring materials (i.e., equipment, products and supplies) are stored in a safe manner;
• Have a well-functioning internal responsibility system (IRS) in place; and
• Are ensuring workers are properly trained and supervised.