Manufacturing AUTOMATION

Features Machine Safety Operations
Worker dies after ammonia leak at Alberta plant


December 10, 2015
By Manufacturing AUTOMATION

Topics

Dec. 10, 2015 – A man has died after being exposed to an ammonia leak this Monday at a southern Alberta nitrogen plant that sent him and another worker to the hospital, according to The Canadian Press.

Alberta Occupational Health and Safety’s Lauren Welsh says the second man has been released from hospital. Both men were contractors with Aluma Systems and were weather-proofing the outside of a large ammonia tank at Canadian Fertilizer Inc. in Medicine Hat, she adds.

A company spokesperson told the Medicine Hat News that both workers were transported to hospital within about 30 minutes of the leak.

It’s believed a piece of equipment struck a valve on the tank and caused the leak, says The Canadian Press.

The site remains shut down as officials investigate.