Omron to acquire Microscan Systems
Acquisition aims to accelerate IoT deployment by integrating control and information
Sep. 3, 2017 - Omron has entered into an agreement with Spectris plc regarding an acquisition of its U.S.-based subsidiary Microscan Systems. Headquartered in Renton, Wash., Microscan Systems is a global provider of barcode scanning and decoding technology for industrial applications. The company develops a range of code reading devices, including barcode readers, 2D barcode readers, and barcode verifiers.
Welcoming Microscan Systems as the newest member of the Omron Group, Omron says it seeks to further advance the control of manufacturing equipment and production lines, using IoT to connect virtually all objects on a manufacturing floor, including components and machines. As well, Omron says it seeks to help customers avoid frequent quality issues by tracing the source of problems.
Through the acquisition, Omron says it expects to acquire various code readers incorporating Microscan Systems2D code reading technology, and integrate these with the automation technology employed in its line of control equipment.
Examples of new solutions offered through the combination of Omron and and MS technologies include:
• “Robot-linked traceability solution package” promising to enable easy and stable reading of multiple, intricately positioned ID codes;
• “High-quality manufacturing solution package” for ideal combinations of components depending on their grade and characteristics;
• “Serialization solution package for legal/regulatory compliance” enabling anyone to meet various legal requirements and regulations;
• Predictive maintenance through ID coding for machines; and
• “Zero defect” manufacturing environment achieved by connecting machines with machine data.
The completion of the acquisition is scheduled for early October.
Product Safety & Liability Prevention Seminar
August 7-8, 2019
Digital Industry USA
September 10-12, 2019
EMO Hannover 2019
September 16-21, 2019
Autonomous Mobile Robot Conference
September 17, 2019
International Metrology Congress
September 24-26, 2019
CMTS: Canadian Manufacturing Technology Show
September 30-3, 2019