January 23, 2017 by Manufacturing AUTOMATION
Jan. 23, 2017 – The FCA Foundation, the charitable arm of North American automaker FCA US LLC, has awarded more than US$65,000 in grants to 13 Ontario robotics teams and programs.
The grants, US$5,000 per team, will help students from the high schools offset various costs, such as registration fees, parts and materials and team apparel, associated with competing in FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) programs.
“The long-standing commitment and engagement FCA has with FIRST is embodied by the dedication of our employees who give generously of their time and skills to help mentor students and serve as competition coordinators,” said Lesley Slavitt, head of civic engagement, FCA US LLC and CEO of the FCA Foundation. “It is a continuing privilege to ensure their hard work and steadfast contributions support and further positive outcomes for youth in our communities.”
Founded in 1989, FIRST aims to inspire young people’s interest and participation in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) careers. Under strict rules, limited resources and an intense six-week time limit, FRC teams (25+ members, grades 9-12) are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, build and program industrial-size robots to play a difficult game against like-minded competitors.
“The real-world experience that students gain through their participation in FIRST programs is invaluable in preparing students for the future,” said Phil Jansen, head of product development, FCA – North America. “We are proud to partner with an organization that taps into such formidable minds and encourages deeper levels of ingenuity.”
The schools (with corresponding team number and name) receiving the grants are:
• Maranatha Christian Academy (4595, Infinity Robotics)
• Tecumseh Vista Academy (4936, Viral Vortex)
• Holy Names High School (4940, Knight Vision Robotics)
• Cardinal Carter (4932, Cougar Robotics)
• Kingsville District High School (773, CavalGears)
• Sandwich Secondary School (772, Sabre Bytes Robotics)
• Ecole secondaire de Lamothe-Cadillac (4938, Faucons)
• Vincent Massey Secondary School (4903, Massey Robotics)
• Belle River High School (4920, Automatons)
• St. Anne’s Catholic High School (4688, Saints Bot Robotics)
• L’Essor (6331, SaBOTage)
• Louise Arbor Secondary School (5519, Lass Robotics)
• Villanova (5885, Wired Cats)